Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Introduction to Pantone's Color of the Year 2015: Marsala!

Hi my Shiny Sparklers!

Sorry for the delay Sparklers!  I was super busy with post holidays and work.  As we have officially made it to 2015, you might be thinking about staying on-trend with the new Pantone Color Of The Year* (PCOTY a long acronym makes me hip right?) "Marsala".  In case the color of the year is something you have never noticed or cared about, it is a color company specializing in color systems--most notably, paint.  Yes, wall paint.  That being said, they have somehow monopolized the rights to determine "this year's color".  That being said everyone is going gaga for "Marsala" right now.


So how have I chosen to incorporate this color into my make-up looks?  Well to start with, I like to use the PCOTY as a guide, rather than a law.  I also like to use it to step a bit outside my comfort zone.  The main idea I get from "Marsala" is that it is a brown-ish red/pink.  Sort of an earthen tone brick?  How many ways can I try and describe a color?  Anyway,  if the true PCOTY does not suit your skin tone or style, just go a little bit in that direction. In that vein, I have 2 main ways I will be wearing "Marsala" this year:

Lipstick:  I love the Viva Glam III lipstick ($16).  This matte lipstick has Marsala-like brown undertones and has the benefit of also being a bit more rosy.  I look nice in dusty rosy colors, so I leaned towards this guy.

While this lipstick is on-trend, it is also very timeless and universally flattering for all skin tones.  It is also an amazing formula that is comfortable to wear, long-lasting, and generally speaking AMAZING!  Thus, I had no qualms splurging the $16 to take this home.






Blush: I spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for a "Marsala" blush that I liked, that also wasn't hideously expensive.  Yet I wanted quality so I swatched my way through Sephora and have been more than satisfied with my purchase of the "Sephora Collection-Colorful Blush" in "Fuchsia Flash" ($15USD).  It is slightly pinker and "wine" colored than the true PCOTY, but this blush is really pretty and perfect for me.  Also, despite the lighting of my pictures, it is a bit more brown-toned, thus the official Sephora picture.  I love this blush formula because it is highly pigmented and smooth.  It feels very high end, but without the huge price tag of a $30-$50 blush. I personally feel that when something might not be a lasting fad, that I don't want to spend a whole ton of money on it.  I also don't want to sacrifice too much quality.  I feel that the Sephora Collection-Colorful Blush line fill this desire exactly.  There are quite a few "Marsala"-eque options.  I highly suggest checking them out in person, colors tend not to translate as well as we bloggers would like due to lighting and different computer screens.  Fun Fact:  Every computer monitor make and model greatly varies in how it displays colors.  This is pure joy for anyone trying to do anything visual via digital media...so joyous...can you sense my enthusiasm? </end sarcasm>




Want an even more affordable "Marsala" like blush? I suggest looking into Wet n' Wild's Color Icon blush in "Mellow Wine".  I have had this blush for so long that I'm totally embarrassed to post a picture of it because the package is crazy ratchet.  However, the lovely internet has provided this wonderful picture for your enjoyment.  That being said, I feel that in real life, this color is a bit softer and has some picker tones.  This color costs only $3USD (you can sometimes get it on sale even cheaper).  It is also highly pigmented and smooth and soft.  The brush that is included is a dismal excuse for a brush, but for $3, I will accept that the packaging leaves something to be desired.




Whether you think PCOTY is silly or fun, perhaps this post made you consider adding it as an element that makes your beauty routine a little more exciting.  I hope you enjoyed this post and I will see you all next week!

As always,
Shine & Sparkle


*I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions. Also, like all my images, I'll gladly give someone credit for their image or take it down if someone throws a hissy fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment