Monday, June 4, 2012

Yes to Cucumbers-"Soothing Hypoallergenic Facial Towelettes", Revlon-"Colorburst Lip Butter", and Almay- "Clear Complexion Concealer + Treatment Gel" Review

Happy June S+SR Readers!

This is my first official product review report on my lil' Wallgreens* haul.  It is a rainy day in June (what gives!?) and my lunch break consisted of indoor walking around the nearby Wallgreens.  I really think there are some great (and not so great) products out there no matter if they are from a drug store or a fancy boutique.  At Wallgreens, I bought some new items I have been very excited to try.  Not only was I excited to try them, but I was thrilled that they were all pretty good! (unlike Almay: "Oil-Free Make-up remover wipes which are terrible).


This lil' haul included the following items (prices are approximate since I coupon and shop sales):
  • Yes to Cucumbers: "Soothing Hypoallergenic Facial Towelettes" $7-10
  • Revlon: "Colorburst Lip Butter" $6-9 each
  • Almay: "Clear Complexion Concealer + Treatment Gel" $9-10
Note: All ratings are on a 1 to 10 scale, with 10 being "I might marry it" and 1 being "you are better off flushing your money down the toilet".

Yes to Cucumbers: "Soothing Hypoallergenic Facial Towelettes" 
Effectiveness: 10 of 10
Smell: 10 of 10
Packaging: 8 of 10
Economic:  5 of 10
Good for Sensitive Skin**: Yes
Overall Rating: 8

These are by far the best facial wipes I have ever tried.   Most other wipes: can leave a sticky residue; are harsh on skin and eyes (Almay wipes make my eye burn! Not good); or smell like chemicals.  These leave sparkling clean skin with no sticky residue.  They are hypo-allergenic and very soothing on the skin.  The packaging is pretty convenient with not only a locking plastic lid, but a resealable sticker over the hole where you remove the wipe (this is also superior to the Almay wipes that just have a resealable sticker over the opening that leaks...).  This being said, I think that the hole cut under the lid is way too small to remove just one wipe.  I had to rip it open a bit more, thus rendering the sticker useless.  The price is pretty average for make-up removal wipes, nothing particularly good or bad about the pricing.  Lastly, as a sensitive skin person, I give it my stamp of sparkle approval (unlike Almay make-up remover wipes...can you tell I really hate those?!)


Revlon: "Colorburst Lip Butter"
Left to Right: Red Velvet, Sugar Plum, Pink Truffle
 













Effectiveness: 8 of 10
Smell/Taste: 5 of 10
Packaging: 8 of 10
Economic:  7 of 10
Good for Sensitive Skin: Maybe
Overall Rating: 7

These little lip butters are seriously flying off the shelves.  It has been a few months since I have been able to find a fully stocked display case.  The idea is that these wear more comfortably, like a lip balm, but have the same fun color as lipstick.  I have been using the cheaper equivalent "Maybelline: Baby Lips" $3-5 (which are fantastic for the price-only comes in 4 colors), while waiting for these to be more readily available.  Now that I have tried the Revlon version, I get what the hype is about.  The product glides on like a much more expensive one.  They are a better version of "Baby Lips" and come in more colors.  They do not have SPF like Baby Lips, but are very moisturizing and are moderately pigmented (so you don't look over the top with lip color).  They are great to go with a dramatic eye make up look because they are subtle pops of color and last a surprisingly long time (still visible after devouring a slice of pizza, but needed a touch up).  I feel that at the $8-9 range they are not a great deal, but I got them on sale for around $6 which was reasonable.  Compared to some of the $14+ lip products at Sephora, they fare quire well.  They have no particular smell or taste, but are not offensive either.  Lastly, they do not make any special provisions for those with sensitive skin, but I did not experience any issues (Note: I have not historically had any sensitivity to lip products).


Almay: "Clear Complexion Concealer + Treatment Gel" 

Effectiveness: 7 of 10
Smell/Taste: N/A
Packaging: 4 of 10
Economic:  7 of 10
Good for Sensitive Skin: Maybe
Overall Rating: 6

I am not normally a concealer person.  I find that the limited color options mean that you always have to do a full face of make-up and foundation over it for it to not look like you have a weird section of flesh colored goo on your face.  That being said, totally at war with this big blemish on my forehead, I bought this product out of desperation.  To my surprise I didn't hate it!  The treatment gel is active with salicylic acid.  I find this to be one of the weakest acne fighting chemicals but it is better than nothing on the monstrosity that is living on my forehead.  The concealer (in the medium shade) actually blended well into my skin to hide the offending zit so I didn't have to do a full face of make-up (I put some under my eyes with the same results).  The product did not react poorly with my acne.org regime (for more details see my report on fighting acne) which is another bonus.  For an acne product, I'm not thrilled that the application is in stick form.  The bacteria from your face will stay on either side of this product as soon as it touches your face.  You can try to use a clean brush on the concealer side (you will still probably double dip and contaminate, but it is better than directly applying to the skin). The treatment gel stick is inevitably going to collect bacteria.  That can be minimized by making sure you clean your face prior to application. 


I hope you all enjoyed my first product review report!  Feel free to comment with any questions, comments, or suggestions!

Shine & Sparkle!

  *I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions. 

**Take my advice at your own risk...that being said, I think it's great advice! Consult with your doctor, especially if you are taking medications or may/are pregnant.  If you don't, "it said so on the internet" is not a great explanation to St. Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment