Wednesday, August 7, 2013

CreaClip (or the Knock off Version) Review

Welcome to August Shine and Sparkle Report Readers!

Is it me or is Squiggles getting even cuter?  I'm increasingly thinking he is much better at modeling than I am at cartooning... Anyway, like my last image, I'll gladly give someone credit for their image or take it down if whoever owns it throws a hissy fit.
August means back to school time and perhaps you are thinking that you could save some money this year by cutting your own (or your kids) hair.  If you search the inter-webz on how to do so, you are bound to come across the "helpful" Crea-Clip.  

Back in my Review of Tangle Teezer Brush*, I talked about reviewing my knock-off CreaClip*.  It is a do-it-yourself hair cutting tool which can only really be explained through visuals:

 

CreaClip Claims That:

Cut your own hair at home with professional results. For easy and precise cuts every time! Great for cutting children's hair, trimming bangs, creating layers, or just maintaining a hairstyle between cuts-anytime, any place! 

In a Nutshell:
Effectiveness: 4 of 10
Smell/Taste: N/A
Packaging: N/A
Economic: 5 of 10
Good for Sensitive Skin: N/A
Overall Rating: 4.5 of 10


Full Report
 
Effectiveness is meh.  You might be thinking "But Ms. Sparkles, ."  My answer is that regardless of how "easy" the video and many youtube videos show, it is actually not that easy to get a good hair cut on yourself.

What does it work well for?  I have to say, it works really well in lieu of a comb for novice at home hair cutters (who watch tons of professional precision hair cutting classes online) to practice their skills on their friends--*ahem* like me .  It also is good for anyone to cut long hair in a straight line of someone other than yourself.  I'd even venture to say that the small clip is good for cutting your own bangs, at your own risk.  But easy to cut one's own hair in layers? Bob hair cuts? Short hair cuts? No.  I know it looks ok in a lot of the videos, but I simply do not find it precise enough for a complex cut.

Why?  Because even with a level, hair has a full range of motion. A level doesnt take into consideration pulling too far forward, backward, diagonally...so yeah, not too precise.  The oh so simple flipping your hair over, sliding the clip down, then cut?  Not so simple. Hair falls to the sides, you don't know if you should put the side pieces front or back, you dont know if you should angle it at the ground or the sky...just...no.  Also, simply using it as a straight edge to cut one's own hair straight across the bottom in the back would involve some sort of yoga epiphany that I have yet to see, even by the most skilled yogis. 

Now, if you looked down and the price, watched a lot of videos, and figured it might be worth trying the the cheaper knock off version here are a few things to consider:
  • The plastic hinge is a bit stiff, and not going to last in the long run.
  • The level is a joke.  The bubble doesn't come close to reflecting "level".
  • The teeth inside the clip are subject to breaking off under pressure. Comb/detangle your hair very well before use.  If you have very thick or curly hair, don't even bother.

Packaging: N/A since I bought the knock off version, the packaging sucked.  But I'm ok with that for less money than a super carnitas burrito in a spinach tortilla with no cheese or sour cream.

Price: I purchased the knock off version for $2.73 + $3.88 shipping The original CreaClip which retails for between $19.99 and $44.00 (if you get it with a DVD and shears)


Overall, the knock off version is a classic case of "you get what you pay for".  The actually CreaClip is a good idea but inaccurate and clumsy in practice.  That being said, I have used it to do some really nice cuts using my actually knowledge of hair cutting and sectioning instead of a comb.  If you have a lot of people around you with long hair that need straight across hair cuts or have very low hair cut standards, I would definately invest in the REAL version of this product.  If you estimate $10 for a simple straight across cut or bad layers (which is what you will get with this product or a cheapo pro cut) you will probably save money with the CreaClip if you have enough demand for the results.

Shine & Sparkle!

* I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions. 

2 comments:

  1. When I get a trim, my hairdressers (except the last one) cut worse than me in my bathroom with a comb and a pair of scissors. Maybe I am too good at cutting my hair, I section and do everything I saw them doing but the crea clip is super quick without having too section too much:D yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your insight about Barber Scissors, it's extremely educational and more depicted points of interest.

    ReplyDelete