That being said, we can't always spend the time and money to go out to eat, so I have learned over the years how to make a lot of my favorite foods. After joining the Office Drone Society, I would come home too tired to bust out all of my cook ware and make some fancy 3 part meal. So, like much of America, I started looking into fast but yummy recipes that would keep me from packing on the pounds. I decided to share one food that is a staple in many diets. PIZZA!
I know you are tempted to just pick up your phone and dial your nearest pizza delivery, but I promise that this recipe is fool proof! It is also very economical. I will give you tips on freezing pizzas so you can make a bunch at once and have them later (and not waste any ingredients by not using them up).
Super Sparkles Pita Pizza!
-1 package of pita bread (whole wheat if you are feeling uber healthy)
-Pizza Sauce (or some form of tomato sauce--no, ketchup doesn't count)
-Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (lite cheese if you are like "Hell yeah it tastes the same!")
-Toppings (I'm sure you know what toppings are healthy or not, but I like to stick to veggies and chicken breast personally. But you can do what you want. Just make sure to slice ingredients small and thin. I just recently did fresh tomato and pineapple. Mmmmm.)
1. Set oven to 400 degrees.
2. Lay pitas on a baking sheet.
3. Pour some olive oil in your hand and coat each pita in olive oil
Mini-Tip: Thin layer, like you were putting on moisturizer...like that beauty reference?)
4. Put about 2-3 tablespoons of pizza sauce on the pita and spread around.
Mini-Tip: Leave around 1/2"-1/4" un-sauced, depending on how much you like crust.
5. Sprinkle a layer of cheese on the pizza. Don't over-do the cheese. Be able to see some sauce through the cheese.
Mini-Tip: I know it is tempting to create a mountain of it because cheese is awesome, but the pizza will not cook right or crisp up if it is drowning in cheese. Also, cheese melts, so the spaces will fill in nicely, don't worry.
6. Add your toppings.
Mini-Tip: Once again, don't over do it. It is important to let the crust breathe. Think about the spacing of toppings on a delivered pizza. Go for that.
5. Bake the whole thing on the top rack for about 10-15 minutes until the cheese is just melted. If you are serving right away, cook a little longer--I like to wait until the cheese is just starting to turn brown.
Mini-Tip: If you are freezing the pizzas, take them out when the cheese is melted, but still completely white.
Mini-Tip: Or freeze them.
To freeze Super Sparkles Pita Pizzas: Transfer the only just melted cheese pizzas onto a freezer safe plate or tray. Put them in the freezer uncovered for about 15 minutes. This will allow the excess moisture to evaporate and not get frozen to the pizzas and make them soggy. After the 15 minutes take them out and wrap each pizza in tinfoil. Store all the pizzas together in a freezer bag.
To reheat frozen Super Sparkles Pita Pizza:
- Microwave: Unwrap a pizza from the tin foil and place on a microwave safe plate. Microwave on high for about 3 minutes (until the cheese is bubbly not only on the edges but the middle too. The pizza sit for about 1-2 minutes, then cut and EAT!
- Toaster/Regular Oven: This is the most awesome way to reheat Super Sparkles Pita Pizza. Set the oven to 450 degrees and bake (on the rack) for about 15-20 minutes (when the cheese is sufficiently bubbly. EAT!
This is a slightly more complex recipe than my Island Oatmeal and Greek Yogurt recipes. Let me know if this was a good level of complexity. Too hard? Too easy? Let me know.
Also, since this is a chat post, I want to mention that I kind of love how my blog images are glorified versions of clip art and skills honed through KidPix. Man I loved KidPix....does it annoy you? Too bad. I'm never going to be an amazing photographer. So you are stuck with my kick butt KidPix skills. Could I use my iPhone and at least take some original pictures? I have at times. I do when I think it would be helpful. But I mean really, isn't image making more fun?
Shine & Sparkle!