Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Suave Professionals-Moroccan Infusion Moroccan Argan Styling Oil Review

3 Posts in a month! Lucky S+SR readers!

Today I just wanted to shoot you a quick review of Suave Professionals: Moroccan Infusion Moroccan Argan Styling Oil.*  I got a sample in the mail when I bought a unnecessary  pair of shoes. I have to admit I was skeptical.  Silicone was a yes, and almond and coconut oil were more present than argan oil, but it was free...
Where is Squiggles?!  Can't you see him?  He is dyed white and in a snow storm in the back.  Haha, no, he's actually hiding in his pigloo (igloo for guinea pigs) and does not look like he wants to be bothered for a photo.  Hopefully, he will be in a better mood for next month's post.  Like all my images, I'll gladly give someone credit for their image or take it down if whoever owns it throws a hissy fit.


I loved it!  I was really surprised!  While I don't know if it really compares as closely to the expensive Moroccanoil Salon brand, as Suave would like you to think, but this is by far the best hair serum for sealing moisture into your hair (for the price) on the market. 3 Oz of product is between $4-7 in drug stores, but on Amazon, the oil is only $3.50!!! That is such a great deal considering you will only use a drop or two because it is so good.  Forget the instructions to use a few pumps.  You will be asking for grease city.  A few drops was all I needed for my almost waist length hair, medium thickness hair.  If you have shorter or fine hair you'll need even less.

Because of it's affordability and effectiveness, I highly recommend this as an entry hair serum for those who are interested in trying one, but not entirely sure if hair serum is for them.  For those who have way too many serums (like me), for $3.50, why not add it to your collection?  Win-win situation here! 

Before I go, it wouldn't be and S+SR report if I didn't give you some background of hair serum:

What does hair serum do?  
It contains silicone and oils that you put onto your hair when it is damp.  The silicone essentially saran-wraps each strand of hair to seal in the moisture, add shine, and protect the ends from splitting. The oils help restore moisture and shine while the silicone seals.  Side benefits include faster drying time and less tangles throughout the day.  Hooray!  It can also be used on dry hair to add a bit of shine (best used on straight hair for this function). Simply put a super small amount on your hand and rub your hands together then apply on your hair starting and the ends up to your ears. What is left can be applied to your root area if your hair is not prone to being weighted down, or you are going for a super sleek look.

Serum Warnings:
While I love serum for my hair, there are a few things you should really keep in mind.
  • Using too much serum can weigh your hair down and make it greasy.  Different formulas are heavier than others so adjust your amount for your hair type/condition and serum formula (you seriously might only need a drop). 
  • Silicone cam build up on your hair.  This means day 1 you use it it could work great, but over time you can find your hair looking weighted down or dull.  In order to strip the silicone off so that new moisture can get into your hair shaft and you can start anew, you need to use a sulfate-shampoo.  That's right, sulfate free shampoo is great, but to avoid build-up, use a sulfate containing shampoo at least once a week.  Try to find ones with "coco-sulfate" or more gentle sulfates if possible. 

Shine & Sparkle!

* I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions.  

2 comments:

  1. Is chemical products or shampoo are good for hair?? I was use it but after the 2 hours my head were get itching. So now I do not use any more. I feel because of it my hair were falling lot.

    Regards,
    Tropic isle jamaican black castor oil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zehana.

    Thank you so much for reading! It sounds like you might have sensitive skin or the shampoo you were using has a chemical that was irritating to you. Definitely what works for some people doesn't work for others.

    Generally, you can't go wrong with less chemicals! I particularly like Do-It-Yourself or the brand "Shea Moisture" or "The Balm" shampoos for healthier chemically free/reduced options but they don't work for very fine and limp hair because it tends to be heavy on oils.

    There are some people who have gone "poo-free" meaning they use alternative methods to shampoo. While this works well for some, it doesn't work that well for me. My hair just isn't as nice and I start getting dandruff ;P

    No matter what you use, cleansing your hair and scalp is important for keeping your scalp clean and healthy!

    ReplyDelete