Thursday, May 23, 2013

Favorite Oatmeal and Greek Yogurt Recipes

Hanging with with Shine and Sparkle Report Readers Again! Woo!

Today I wanted to have a quick chat about two things that are really healthy.

1) Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt

2) Oatmeal

Wow! Am I getting spiffy at paint or what?!  Anyway, like my last image, I'll gladly give someone credit for their image or take it down if whoever owns it throws a hissy fit.

Both of these things are pretty boring. They are also considered to be very healthy.  Oatmeal is a power breakfast providing long lasting energy to get you through the day.  Non-fat plain greek yogurt is a filling snack that is packed with protein and healthy probiotics.  However I cannot stand either of them alone.  They are boring.  More boring than white rice, plain pasta, and a baked potato combined.  In fact, I'm betting that most of you would eat plain unhealthy carbs before you'd eat plain oatmeal or greek yogurt.  Heck, I think some people would just munch celery or carrots instead.  It is something about the squishy soft texture that turns people off I think.

So what are we to do to keep these items healthy while still eating them?  Make them yummy!  Here are my two very simple recipes to make these boring heath foods (and your waist line) island/beachy perfection!  The way they are prepared makes me think of some kind of delicious island pudding, rather than oatmeal and greek yogurt.  So.....on to the recipes.

Island Oatmeal:

Ingredients-
-1 microwaveable bowl of plain Oatmeal (prepared according to directions--I make oatmeal for several days at once and store in the refrigerator).
-Frozen pineapple or mango chunks
-coconut-almond milk.
-1 tablespoon Coconut Chips (or candied/dessicated coconut)
-1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

Steps-
1. Take hot bowl of oatmeal, add fruit and coco-almond milk and cinnamon (optional, but there are supposedly health benefits to cinnamon so I add it.  It also just seems like the "oatmeal thing to do").
2. Microwave for 1 minute (or until frozen fruit is no longer frozen).
3. Top with coconut chips or candied/dessicated coconut

Island Greek Yogurt:

Ingredients-
-1 serving of plain non-fat greek yogurt
-Frozen pineapple or mango chunks
-1 tablespoon Coconut Chips (or candied/dessicated coconut)

Steps-
1. Rinse fruit under warm water the drain and pat dry (they will still be frozen in the middle which is good for keeping your yogurt cold in a lunch bag.  If eating right away, fully defrost the fruit).
2. Place fruit at bottom of bowl/tupperware.
3. Place serving of yogurt on top of fruit.
4. Top with coconut chips or candied/dessicated coconut.

Whaaaaaaa?!
That was so easy!
Right?!
Cool!
I love SSR Chat posts!
Weeeeeeeeee!


Let me know if you tried making my island loving health foods.  Also tell me if you are interested in more easy healthy recipes in my chat posts.

Shine & Sparkle!

No comments:

Post a Comment