Wednesday, February 25, 2015

DIY Lemon-Sugar Exfoliating Lip Scrub

Hope you are staying warm Sparklers!

In keeping with my month of Valentines Day themed posts, my last post in February is my favorite sugary sweet lip scrub recipe (as promised in my post on my favorite lip balms for kissable lips!).

Chapped lips in the winter (or year round if you are me), you might need to exfoliate away dead skin from your lips more often.  If you want to buy a lip exfoliator product, they can cost $10 for less than 1oz of product!  This is a super cheap and easy recipe that uses items that most people have lying around their kitchen--which is good, because you wouldn't want to put things that are not edible on your lips right?  Bonus, this lip scrub tastes a bit like lemonade. Lastly, if you can get organic/food grade/minimally processed ingredients it is always better.



Ingredients:
-1 tablespoon sugar (brown, white, or raw sugar are my preferred sugars for this recipe. I find raw sugar granules are too large and coarse for my lips and better for body scrubs). Mini-tip: size up this recipe and use as a body scrub as well!
-2 teaspoons oilve or coconut oil (or just enough to create a paste with the sugar).
-1 teaspoon lemon juice
-Bowl and Stirring Spoon

Instructions:
1) Add sugar to a bowl.  The sugar is the physical exfoliator that removes dead skin cells.
2) Add the oil to the bowl.  This recipe is so hard right?  Just kidding.  The oil is your moisturizing ingredient.  Both types of recommended oils are great for adding moisture to your lips.  Add about two teaspoons of oil to the sugar, or until the mixture is a toothpaste-like consistency.
3) After mixing the oil and sugar, add the lemon juice.  The lemon juice is the chemical exfoliator.  It will also naturally help cleanse and brighten the skin.

How to Use:
1) Apply scrub to lips.
2) Massage scrub into lips for about 30 seconds to 1 minute (depending on how much you want to physically exfoliate).
3) Leave scrub on lips for another minute.
4) Rinse away scrub. Mini-Tip: Apply your favorite lipbalm afterwards.  You can see my latest favorite lip balms in my...you guessed it...Favorite Lip Balms post.

Hope you liked this quick and easy DIY recipe.

As always,

Shine & Sparkle


*I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions. Also, like all my images, I'll gladly give someone credit for their image used in this post or take it down if someone throws a hissy fit.

1 comment:

  1. This actually is a great way in which one can find out how interesting and exciting can be the preparation process of lip scrub.Naturally made products are rare to find nowadays and hence your post is a great instruction manual.

    Lemon Lip Scrub

    ReplyDelete