Wednesday, February 4, 2015

My Favorite Lip Balms For Kissable Lips

It is February my lovely Sparklers.

Hallmark seems to have declared all of February (and most of January) to be Valentines Day.   Therefore, I thought I'd do a bunch of appropriately themed posts.  In the spirit of this the love and heart shaped month, I will be doing a bunch of appropriately themed posts.  This week I'm going to share my favorite lip balms for soft and kissable lips.

I admit to being a lip balm junkie.  I buy (and lose) a lot of lip balm.  I like to apply it before bed.  I like to apply it under lipsticks, I'll even apply it to rough patches of skin on my elbows or knees in emergencies.  This means that I've tried a lot of different products because who wants to lose the same thing over and over again?  For the sake of this post, I have stuck to just plain/un-tinted balms.  Many of these brands also have tinted products, so if you would like to get one with color, you often can.

If my lips are feeling rough and like they need to be exfoliated, I start off by using a lip scrub.  You can buy lip scrubs, you can just use your toothbrush with toothpaste, or you can use my DIY lemon-sugar lip scrub which I will post and link here very soon.  Stay tuned for that!  Then I apply one of my favorite lip balms.

I picked my top 3 lip balms (which I purchase again if I lose them).  They are all color-less (so they are great mini gifts for men as well).  They are also in 3 price ranges to fit anyone's budget.

#1:  Sugar Lip Treatment by Fresh-$22.50USD for 0.15oz




The Company Says: Sugar Lip Treatment Sunscreen SPF 15 moisturizes, protects, and smoothes the lips with an exclusive blend of moisture-preserving sugar, nourishing precious oils, antioxidant-rich polyphenols, and essential SPF protection. Fresh’s best-seller, Sugar Lip Treatment Sunscreen SPF 15 is proven to provide 6 hours of significant moisture for soft, supple lips. Its sublime texture and addictive citrus flavor make it positively irresistible.

Ms. Sparkles Says: If you are good at keeping track of your lip balms (and not losing them to the same gnomes/elves that steal just one of my socks) I think this lip balm is well worth the splurge.  The texture and effectiveness is simply fantastic. I dare even the driest of lips to not be helped by this stuff.  I like the citrus scent of it as well.  I have been loyal to this for years.  I love that the cap of the packaging screws into the base of the tube part.  It means that it is extra secure and will not get lost in your purse.  That doesn't stop me from losing the whole product, but at least I don't lose the cap.  The packaging is also made of a good quality, scratch and finger print resistant metal, so it never looks ratty.

#2: Smith's Rosebud Salve Tin by Rosebud Perfume Co.- $6.00USD for 0.8oz



The Company Says: A miracle in a can! Our world famous Rosebud Salve has been a family favorite since 1892. Celebrities love the consistency and emollient texture of this #1 selling lip balm and all purpose salve.

Ms. Sparkles Says:  This is an amazing deal! You get almost 1oz of product for only $6! I'm putting it as midrange because you still only get one tub of salve, meaning it is just as easy to lose as any other product. This is great because you can use it for lip balm, or rough patches of skin.  I have also used it on my nail cuticles with great results.  Men, never fear about the smell or color.  It goes on clear and does not have a feminine smell.  It smell faintly like roses, but in a gender-neutral/not overpowering way.  Lets just say I have secretly used it on my man and he approved of it and didn't notice anything about smell or color. This is my go-to lip balm to use right before bed.  I always wake up with soft lips when I use it.  My only problem is that the packing--while cute and made of good quality metal--can be hard to open if you have anything slippery (like lotion) on your hands.  That being said, you don't have to worry at all about the top coming off in your purse.  It is stuck on there I promise!

#3:  Beeswax Lipbalm with Vitamin E and Peppermint by Burt's Bees- $3.30USD for 0.15oz



The Company Says: The original. The best. And still your favorite. Our must-have balms have been playing in purses and pockets since 1991. Beeswax conditions skin, while antioxidant Vitamin E moisturizes. A final hint of Peppermint Oil provides that one-of-a-kind refreshing tingle. The result? Smooth, supple lips everyone will be buzzing about.

Ms. Sparkles Says: Cheap, available everywhere and absolutely amazing.  If you buy this in a multi-pack or on sale you can get these lip balms for way less than $3.30USD, this is just the suggested retail price.  This is your classic chap-stick packaging so it's nothing to write home about.  That being said, it product inside is really effective.  It provides a minty tingle and great hydration to the lips.  If you tend to lose a lot of lip balms, I would highly suggest buying a bunch of these so you always are able to find one when you need it.  They are cheap enough that you can have one in every purse if you want to.  I also love that this product is 100% natural.



Hope you enjoyed this Valentines Day inspired post!  Let me know through social media or the comments below if you have ever actually FINISHED a lip balm before you lost it...or it got melted in the clothes dryer...

As always,

Shine & Sparkle


*I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions. Also, like all my images, I'll gladly give someone credit for their image used in this post or take it down if someone throws a hissy fit.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this detailed blog post about lip balms and how they actually benefit people by solving each and every lip concern.

    Best Lip Balm

    ReplyDelete