Wednesday, August 12, 2015

3 Healthy Chicken Marinades

Hi Sparklers!



Again, I'm so sorry about the infrequent updates but life throws you curve balls and sometimes you just have to roll with it.  That being said, we a full force into summer.  This means BBQ time!  I recently had a request for my chicken marinade recipes so I thought I would share these 3 marinade recipes to keep your healthy eating interesting (those boneless/skinless chicken breasts get awful boring without fun bold flavors!).  I also really wanted to do this post because I have noticed that a lot of marinade recipes online are not strong enough to impart a lot of flavor into the meat.  I really like my marinades to be strong and bold so that once the meat gets cooked, it really has a lot of flavor, rather than just a hint of taste.

Each of these marinades are for 4 chicken breasts, but other pieces of chicken or other proteins can be substituted.  Squiggles would prefer if you did not eat guinea pigs.  I typically put my meat in a ziplock bag with the marinade and let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.  Then cook with your favorite meat-cooking method.  Mine is the BBQ! Mini-Tip:  Mix marinade before adding meat.  This way you can taste it to make sure it's delicious! 

Chinese Five-Spice Marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup shao hsing wine (or dry sherry)
1 tbs Chinese 5 spice powder
2 tbs raw sugar or honey or the sweetener equivalent
2 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 pinch of cayenne pepper
4-5 cloves of garlic (finely minced)
1 tsp white pepper

Chili-Lime Marinade:
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 jalapeno finely diced (taste a small piece of the pepper before adding to the marinade to make sure it is not too spicy!  Add less if it is very hot, add more if you love the heat!)
2 tsp onion powder
1 tbs chili powder
1 pinch of cayenne pepper
4-5 cloves of garlic finely minced
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper

Lemon-Turmeric Marinade:
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tbs turmeric
2 tsp onion powder
1 pinch of cayenne pepper
4-5 cloves of garlic finely minced
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper

I hope you try out these recipes and I also hope that you do not take Squiggle's advice on healthy eating...unless you are a guinea pig.

As Always,

Shine & Sparkle!

No comments:

Post a Comment