Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Make-Up 101: How to Apply Mascara to Get Different Effects

Greetings Shine and Sparkle Report Readers!

It's been too long since I did a "Make Up 101" report.  I really wanted to get into talking about how to apply mascara to achieve the effect you want. I did do a Basic Report of Mascara waaay back in the day.  Like the little paint drawing? Yeah it's cute.  Even though this is more of a technique post than one about what brands work best, I will be telling what brands I used in the pictures in case you are curious.  Anyway, there are lots of tricks to share about using mascara, so lets get straight into it.

Natural Look:
For a natural look you want to have you lashes look like natural lashes but a bit longer and a bit more full.  Depending on your natural lashes, you might not even need mascara for this!  You might just need a good eyelash curler.  My favorite is the Shiseido Eyelash Curler*.  If your lashes are already long and the hairs not to coarse, just curling them might give you just the extra natural boost you are looking for.  For a little more impact or to hold the curl in coarse lashes, top it off with a water proof mascara.  Brushing from the base of underside of the top lashes up.  Wiggle the brush into the base a little before brushing up to really help distribute product evenly.  Same with brushing the top side of your lower lashes.  If you have very very sparse lower lashes or want less drama, you might consider not applying mascara to the bottom lashes.

Medium Drama Look:
For this look I would highly recommend curling the lashes.  I then would set the curl in place by applying a water proof mascara to the top lashes.  Then I would apply a second coat of mascara that does not smudge (waterproof or non-waterproof, depending on the weather and your preference).  For this look I also tend to take my "Maybelline Lash Discovery Mini-Brush Mascara" (because my lashes are too small to do this with a regular mascara wand) and also apply mascara to the top side of my upper lashes and bottom side of my lower lashes.  This is to ensure that all possible lash surfaces are coated in mascara. Also, applying mascara with the wand position vertical (rather than the typical horizontal) can result in more product delivery to your lashes if you feel like it needs more oomph.

Seen here: Curled lashes with with one layer of Maybelline Rocket Volume Waterproof mascara on top lashes.  Layer of Maybelline Lash Discovery Mini-Brush Mascara on both sides of upper and lower lashes afterwards.  I also like using Benefit's "Yes They're Real" mascara when I'm doing the vertical trick because the mascara brush has points all over the tip of the brush. It's pretty cool.

Max Drama Look:
Follow Medium Drama Steps above.  Then apply fake lashes.  Fake lasshes are a whole world of fun!  There are tons of styles and brands.  You can be as subtle or dramatic as you desire.  I tend to prefer thin/invisible bands on the base of my lashes for maximum comfort.  Make sure to blend real and fake lashes with a quick swipe of any non-waterproof mascara.

Mini Tip: My current favorite lashes Ardell Glamour in "Wispies-Black".  I find Ardell to have great and comfortable lashes quite affordability for under $4 a pair.  M.A.C and Benefit also have excellent lashes but they are $15 a pair.  If you are tempted to order 10+ Pairs for less than $2 off of ebay from China, I would caution against it.  They aren't dangerous but they are really uncomfortable.  They also do not stand up to re-use (see my post on "Fake Lash Quick Tips".)

Ah another successful full length, report style Make-Up 101 post.  I'm so happy that I have had time to put another one of these together for you all!  Hopefully you found it helpful! Please feel free to comment or ask any questions!  I love hearing from you.


As Always,
Shine & Sparkle



*I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment