Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Make-Up 101: Smokey Eye Make-Up Tutorial

Hi Shine and Sparkle Report Readers!

I recently did this blue smokey eye make-up look below and posted it on my instagram (which forwards to my facebook and twitter feeds--shameless hint to follow me on social media).


I actually got a few comments on this and thought that for this weeks post, I'd let you know what products I used to get this look (with little mini reviews of the products).  It's also a general report on how to get a smokey eye look.  Lots of people are trying out the blue smokey eye since the overrated Kim Kardashian wore it in a recent post.  However, feel free to be creative with your colors!

Here is a great eyeshadow diagram from nerdygirlmakeup.com* (so you know what I'm talking about in the instructions I give.  I also like that she has monolids (like me!) so it is easy to compare to my make up look.  Check out her post for all the basics to apply eyeshadow like a pro!
nerdygirlmakeup.com is the source for this picture. If this credit isn't good enough, I'll gladly take it down! But it's just so useful to not reinvent the wheel on my blog when great blogger have done it before me...#amitoolazy?

Step-By-Step Blue Smokey Eye:

  1. Base of eyeshadow primer all over my eye area (up to the brow and even below my eye.  I like  Urban Decay Anti-Aging Primer Potion.  I love this stuff.  It's a bit pricey at $24 but it works great and I can't deny that I'm sucked in by the idea of not needing an eye cream on heavy eyeshadow days because of this product.  Killing two birds with one stone.  Hurzah.
  2. Covered my whole upper eye area with a wash of white eyeshadow (up to the brow) to make sure everything applies smoothly for the following steps.  I used Make Up Geek shadow in "White Lies" but any matte white shadow you like is fine.  
  3. Water proof dark blue eyeliner on the lid.  I used this as an additional base to make sure my shadow stayed exactly where I wanted it and to maximize the pigmentation on the lid.  I used the Marcelle Mini Waterproof Liner in "Blue Lagoon" because I got it in my BirchBox.  But again, any navy blue, waterproof liner will work great.
  4. Set with navy blue matte eye shadow.  More insurance that this bold eye look doesn't turn into a blue raccoon eyes/looking like you got punched in the face.  I use a blue powder eye shadow to set this.  I didn't want to spend a whole ton of money on blue matte shadow so I used a cheap one I had that I don't think is made anymore because I can't find it on google.  But you get the idea.
  5. Blend black matte eye shadow into the outer-v and crease.  This is a bit tricky.  It takes some practice to learn your eye shape and how to best blend the outer-v and crease to look right.  Start with less product and build up.  I used Make Up Geek shadow in "Corrupt".
  6. Used Highlight to highlight inner corner, tear duct, brow bone, and further blend the black.  To do this I used Make Up Geek shadow in "Shimma Shimma".
  7. Slightly Winged Liner on Upper and Lower Lash Line.  I used my all time favorite long wearing liquid liner for monolids by Clio (post here!).
  8. Blue eyeliner in the waterline.  I used the same liner as in Step 3 to line my water line.
  9. Curl Lashes. I might do a post on this in the future.  For right now, this is already a long post!
  10. Mascara.  I have a post on this! Phew!
  11. Done. 
The great thing about this Make-Up 101 post is that you can be as creative as you'd like with colors!  Have fun and experiment with this way of getting a smokey eye.  Hope you found this post interesting and as always,

Shine & Sparkle!

*I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment