Thursday, December 12, 2013

Make-Up 101: How To Wear a Dark Lipstick

Hi Shine and Sparkle Readers!

Holiday posting madness! Tons of posting is my December holiday gift to all my readers.  I even have one more post heading your way next week. 


This image belongs to M.A.C cosmetics.  They are way better photographers of their products than I am.  Like all my images, I'll gladly give someone credit for their image or take it down if someone throws a hissy fit.

One of the biggest fall trends are deep plum/violet lip colors. This trend is exemplified by M.A.C's "Talk That Talk" Retro Matte lipstick* from the RiRi Hearts M.A.C collection (can you tell that I'm obsessed with her look above?)  You can see me rave about M.A.C Lip products in this report.  Based on your skin tone, you might have to play around to figure out how to best wear this trend.  Let me know in the comments if you are interested in tips for finding your perfect dark lipstick shade!

The big question is how to wear them without a) looking like you just sunk your teeth into the jugular of a small mammal with color all over your teeth; b) not look like you were making-out like at teenager with your lipstick all over your face; c) not look like you are promoting bringing early 2000's goth back or that you are part of a vampire worshiping club.

Well, Shine and Sparklers, good news!  Here are 3 tips to address a, b, and c above! Hooray!

1)  Revised "finger in the mouth trick".  Yes, that sounds....interesting, but this really works.  This tip has been passed down from mother to daughter since....lipstick.  Put your index finger (or middle and index finger if you have a big mouth) and gently press your lips around your finger.  Remove and the lipstick closest to your teeth is gone.  This is not a very glamorous way of doing it and you have to some how remove the lipstick from your fingers.  I prefer to use a Q-Tip.  Put one end of Q-tip in mouth, then pull through your lips.  Not at much lipstick is gone as your finger, so use the other side of the swab to remove more using the initial removal as a guide.  Perfect and clean.  My favorite.

2) Prime/lipstick/line+ fill.  This works great for me.  A great lip primer like M.A.C's prep and prime lip primer helps any lipstick stay on your lips for much longer.  I think it is much more moisturizing than using the lip pencil first.  It also means long wear no matter what the lipstick's original formula is.  Then apply your lipstick.  I know you want to line first, but lining after applying the lipstick lets you create the perfect shape.  Concentrate on the perimeter of your lips, the corners, then feather into the middle.  You will be surprised that this is just as effective as the traditional method.

3) Keep rest of make-up light and natural.  For day time you can do your normal day foundation and brow routine but stick with a very neutral (or no) eyeshadow, minimal application of a muted eyeliner (off black or brown),  Generous mascara is great to add a bit of balance the dark lips and I'd use a bronzer with a slight shimmer as my blush to give a healthy glow without competing with the star of the show, the lips! 

Bonus Tip: Want to get that "Talk That Talk" lip look without the $50 for just the lipstick?  Pair M.A.C's "Media" ($15) satin lipstick with M.A.C's "Nightmoth" Lip Liner ($15) and for $20 less than the RiRi, you get a M.A.C. lipstick and a liner and the exact same look!  I actually prefer to get the color this way because the "Media" is much more versatile because there is a bit more red in it so you can play with lip liners and glosses to get a more dark wine color and more iterations.  I also think that the "Satin" lipstick finishes are much more moisturizing and more comfortable to wear than the "Retro Matte" formulas. For more details check out my post on M.A.C Lip Products 101!

Shine & Sparkle!

*I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment