Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Healthy Green Breakfast Smoothie Recipe

Rise and Shine & Sparkle Dear Readers!  (get it?)

I have been on a bit of a clean eating binge.  One of the big changes I have made is making myself eating breakfast before I go to work.  Considering that I like to sleep in until the very last possible second, my adult life has rarely involved getting food in my tummy before arriving at work.  I have been able to successfully change this thanks to my “Shine and Sparkle Green Breakfast Smoothie”.  I find that doing this really jump starts my metabolism and energy for the day.  This single serve smoothie is also fast to make.  I can add all the ingredients to my Magic Bullet* the night before, then just blend for 30 seconds in the morning.  I like to make it pretty liquid in viscosity (just slightly thicker than an Odwalla type juice).  This really helps me chug all the nutrition I need in the morning in less than 2 minutes and also has the benefit of hydrating my body. 


The smoothie is packed with vitamins, protein, and even has some whole grains to make it a really great and well rounded breakfast.  And trust me, it tastes like tropical heaven.  Don’t let the green color scare you!

The Shine and Sparkle Green Breakfast Smoothie Recipe:

Ingredients
1 cup Fresh Spinach
½ cup Non-fat Plain Greek or European Style Yogurt
¼ cup fresh or frozen banana (using frozen fruit gives it a nice texture in my opinion, but both work)
¼ cup fresh or frozen pineapple
¼ cup unsweetened vanilla or plain almond milk
¼ cup of classic rolled oats
Water (about ½ a cup is what I like, but more or less determines how thick the smoothie is).

Directions:
1) Add ingredients to blender.  If storing overnight in a magic bullet cup, make sure the wet ingredients and oats are at the bottom of the cup. Then add the fruit and spinach on top.  This prevents the spinach from wilting and lets the oats absorb some of the liquid over night and get soft and easier to blend.  If making right away, just throw everything in a blender.

2) Blend.

3) Drink.

So simple right?  I’m very happy with this smoothie.  The oats provide a nutty taste, extra fiber, long lasting whole grain energy, and keep you from getting hungry before morning snack/lunch time.  The spinach and fruits provide great vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and a great sweet taste.  The yogurt provides dairy calcium, probiotics, and protein.  When combined with almond milk, there is a lovely creamy element to the smoothie.  Winning!  The smoothie is also low in calories, so makes it a good option for those concerned about weight.  

Bonus:  Good nutrition not only keeps your body healthy, but it also helps promote beautiful hair, skin, and nails. Incorporating this kind of nutrition packed breakfast might just help improve your overall quality of life. 

Let me know if you try it, have suggestions of other yummy smoothies!

As Always,

Shine & Sparkle!


*I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment