Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Top 10 Beautifying Essentials For Your Trip To Maui, Hawaii!

Aloha My Lovely Shine and Sparklers,

Those who follow my Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook know (look in the side bar if you are interested in looking or even *gasp* following me), I have recently taken a vacation to Maui, Hawaii!  I wanted to give you a quick glace at my vacation if you didn't get to see it on social media.  I also wanted to give you my top 10 Beautifying Essentials I realized I wish someone had stressed to me before I went!  Unfortunately I didn't get to fly first class (like I did in this United Airlines First Class Review post).  But I still loveeeeeed my trip.

First, here are a few awesome pictures from my Maui Trip:



Top 10 Beautifying Essentials to bring to Maui, Hawaii:
Reminder: Make sure any large liquids or aerosol containers are in your checked luggage! Don't want to have TSA take your beauty essentials away from you!  Also, a lot of these tips work no matter what your gender is, so I'm adding to my list of "For Him" posts.

  1. Water Proof Sunscreen.  By far my #1!  Buy it on sale at home and bring it with you.  Hawaii knows that if you will pay more for sunscreen there so they make the prices higher than I know I want to pay.   Bring your own is economical and necessary to prevent skin damage from the sun.  Vacation is no fun with sun burns.  I suggest going higher in SPF than you normally go, since there is so much sun in Hawaii.
  2. Lip Balm with SPF.  Your lips burn can burn just like the rest of your skin.  And honestly, you want to be relaxing and playing in the water.  Not worrying if your lipstick is smudging.  If you really need some color, get a tinted lip balm with SPF of apply a lip stain before your normal SPF lip balm. It's Maui, no need to dark vampy lipsticks here.
  3. Very Waterproof eyeliner.  Mascara and eyeshadows probably aren't going to stand up to all day on the beach and in the pool.  But I have been quite successful with the eye liners I detail in my Best Long Wearing Eyeliner for Monolids/Hooded Eyes post.  These barely budged after all day lounging in the chlorinated pool.  Waterslide and all! And nothing helps me feel more confidant in my bikini than a little eye liner. 
  4. Swimsuit(s).  I want to mention this because I believe no matter who you are, what size, color, gender, or alien race you are--you should be free to enjoy the water on vacation!  No sitting on the sidelines in your normal clothes because you don't want people to see you. You are amazing and beautiful just the way you are! Nobody is perfect and like every other non-perfect person at the beach/pool, you should enjoy your beach vacation.  Swim away in whatever swimwear you desire little Shine and Sparklers.  It's your vacation, you'll do what you want!  I do suggest bringing more than one, since it takes longer for them to dry in the humidity. Nothing grosser than putting on a damp swim suit in the morning...
  5. Sun glasses. Again with the sun protection, I know.  But really, you want to be able to read your book or look at things without hissing like a vampire caught in the sun.  It's really sunny folks.  I'm not kidding.
  6. Hair Ties.  If you have long hair, you will really want these to keep your hair from becoming knotted and tangled in the pool.  For medium-long hair, pony tails and if you can do braids/buns work great.  If you have really long hair like me, buns and braids are a must! 
  7. Deep Conditioning Hair Masque: All that time in the sun and water can really stress out your hair.  I highly suggest bringing along your favorite deep conditioning hair masque.  It will make life much nicer for your hair.
  8. One "Going Out" Outfit: Ok, so not something tight and clubbing-style like you would in Vegas, but maybe a casual pair of heels and a nice flowing dress or skirt top combination.  Just in case you decide to go to a nice Luau or upscale dinner.  Nothing in Maui is super over the top, but it's nice to have an option that isn't a bikini and shorts if you know what I mean.  
  9. Nail Polish Refresh Kit: If you are addicted to having your nails colored (like yours truly) bringing the tools to refresh your nails is a must.  All the water will chip your nails faster than a knife fight in a phone booth.  I suggest keeping it really simple with just a nail file, nail polish remover pads (like these pads from E.L.F*), and the polish.  I normally preach about the benefits of base coat and top coat (like in my "How to Get Salon Perfect Nails at Home" post), but for a refresh in the middle of your vacation, you don't want to be spending all that time.  Also, the humidity means nail polish dries much slower. 
  10. Intention to Unplug:  My last essential is NOT bringing your media everywhere!  Unplug for the day, everything can wait until you get back to your hotel room at least!  The day of surfing, swimming, and lounging don't need to be bothered by a constant barrage of media from life back home. Really take this time to escape, relax, and center yourself.  If you are on the vacation with others, enjoy your time with them in the moment.  Don't worry about if the rest of the world knows you are enjoying the moment.  Why do you think I missed a blog post *GASP*.    If you HAVE to bring your phone with you to take pictures, I really suggest putting it in airplane mode, to encourage you to avoid the addition to social media and really concentrate on the lovely vacation you are having.

I hope this "Top 10" list helped you out!  I thought it was kind of fun.  Generally speaking I get a bit annoyed with blogs that are always making "Top -insert arbitrary number here-" lists as a way to get people to click on things.  But I thought it might be a fun format for this post.  

Let me know in the comments or other social media if you also get annoyed with the whole "Top 24 Thing-a-ma-bobs For Picking A Wombat-Puppy Hybrid Pet or Your Nose" internet article trend.  And as always,

Shine & Sparkle!


*I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment