Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Product Empties #2: Mini Reviews of my Beauty Trash

What's up Shine and Sparkle Report Readers!

As you probably know from my Product Empties #1 Post, these posts give people a quick look into how many things I end up trying and not liking enough to really recommend them to you with a full post.  You also get to see what I keep going back to over and over because I love them so much.

Empties Reviews Include: 
1) What I thought about the product;
2) If I would purchase that product again.

The reviews are pretty quick but for sake of this new series of posts on my blog, I'm going to limit each post to under 10-ish products.  Did I have a few too many products this time? Yes...but some are really small!Without further explanation, lets get started!

Empties reviewed from left to right.

Wen Cleansing Conditioner in "Cucumber Aloe"*
1) Thoughts: I had mixed feelings on this and wrote a post about conditioner washing.
2) Repurchase: Not at this time.  I think you can get similar results with other products.

Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque
1) Thoughts: Bloggers and YouTube Beauty Gurus RAVE about this.  So much so that I have avoided having it even on my blog in rebellion.  However, after trying out a sample pack of it, I agree that it is pretty great.  I like it for the days when I don't know what my hair needs but I feel like everything is out of balance.  This takes it right back to looking great no matter how crazy my hair is being.
2) Repurchase: Yes! I will continue to have a packet as a hair emergency rescue.  However, the whole tubs of it are pricey and sometimes actually more expensive than the little packs per oz!

Batiste Dry Shampoo in "Fresh" Scent
1) Thoughts: I love it so much I wrote a whole post about dry shampoo!
2) Repurchase: Absolutely!  I've gone through 2 since the last post.

Olay Complete All-Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen (SPF15) in Sensitive Formula
1) Thoughts: Long name, all-time favorite moisturizer.  I love that it never reacts funny to foundations or primers.  I love that it has a physical sunscreen (3% zinc oxide) so it protects all day without re-application.  I also love that despite being a physical sunscreen, it doesn't leave a white cast to my skin at all.  It also never causes me to break out! Hooray!
2) Repurchase: Forever and ever and ever.

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo/Conditioner in "Lemon Sage"
1) Thoughts: These bottles lasted forever since I used the shampoo as my clarifying shampoo once a week at most.  I mainly used the conditioner to conditioner wash my hair.  I liked them a lot.  The smelled great and kept my scalp in good health. Did it actually "thicken" my hair?  Not really.
2) Repurchase: I actually repurchased the "Special" version of this line to get a stronger tea tree effect.  I have to say my scalp is liking the Special formula even better than the Lemon Sage.

Catvia Fiber Mascara
1) Thoughts: This sucked.  Technically it's not "empty" but I'm tossing it.  The whole thing was clumpy and didn't work.  It was super dry and just didn't really do anything.  The brush also didn't get into my lashes at all.  It was pricey too =( Internet shopping fail.  The rhinestone packaging was so cute though!
2) Repurchase: Heck no.

Maybelline "The Rocket Volume" Mascara (not water proof)
1) Thoughts: This was my holy grail mascara until I tried the water proof version.  The waterproof not only gives the wonderful effects of this one, but it also holds my lash curl.  That being said, this is a great non-waterproof mascara!  Also took a long time to dry up/change scent (meaning it's time to toss it!)
2) Repurchase: Yes, if I'm looking for a non-waterproof formula.  I'm going to purchase the waterproof more consistently.                          

Victoria's Secret Lip Gloss in "Almost Nude"
1) Thoughts: Good and cheap lip gloss.  Nothing fancy.  That being said it has changed scents and probably is full of bacteria. Time to toss it.
2) Repurchase: No, though I think it's a nice thing to have and might pick on up if I find it on sale.

Simple Sensitive Skin Experts Cleansing Facial Wipes 
1) Thoughts: These have been my go-to drug store wipes.  They are gentle on my skin and pretty effective.  I like to use them after using coconut oil to take off most of my make up at night.  They are not that wet, but they work well enough.  You will need more than one if it is your only method of make-up removal.
2) Repurchase:  Yes.

Olay Fresh Effects Everything Off Deluxe Make Up Removal Wet Cloths
1) Thoughts: Tried these out because I found them on major sale.  They did their job but irritated my skin a little.
2) Repurchase: No, though I might still buy them if they are on crazy crazy sale again.

BareMinerals ORIGINAL Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 in "Golden Medium"
1) Thoughts: I finally finished this!  I had been primarily using it as a setting powder since I have really been loving using a light BB cream and finishing up with a heavier powder like this one.  However, somewhere down the line I purchased the MATTE version of this product and like it better for my oily skin.
2) Repurchase: No, I'll probably stick to the MATTE version.

Vaseline Spray & Go Moisturizer in Cocoa Radiant
1) Thoughts: I love spray sunscreen, so why wouldn't I like spray regular lotion? Because it is most effective when it sprays in a line and is rubbed in.  This really makes it no faster than regular lotion in my opinion.  It is also jarringly cold to apply after just taking a hot shower.  It is also (overall) not nearly as moisturizing as a regular lotion.  It's also not economical at all.  Finishing regular lotion takes forever, finishing this took less than a month.  Biggest pro:  It makes a fun sound.  The sound is between a wheeze/whine and a whoosh, but somehow satisfying.
2) Repurchase: No.

Up&Up Smoothing Shave Gel, Soy
1) Thoughts: Target version of Aveeno.  I love it.  It is cheap and works great.  Leaves my skin quite soft and never irritated.  I think the Soy slows my leg hair growth a bit, but who really knows.  I just know my skin loves this stuff and the price is right!
2) Repurchase: Yes!

Bath and Body Works Anti-bacterial Mini in "Farm Stand Apple"
1) Thoughts: The "Fresh Picked" collection from last fall smelled amazing.  Apple was no exception.  I got it in a set with Heirloom Pear, Sweet Clementine, Heirloom Cranberries, and Crimson Plum.  Whenever I use any of them someone asks "what smells so good?"
2) Repurchase: Yes, however they were limited edition.  I'm not sure if I'll find them again.

Joico K-PAK Intense Hydrator
1) Thoughts: I recommended this in my Conditioners For Your Hair Post.  See that post for a better review.
2) Repurchase: Yes

Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Penetrating Oil
1) Thoughts: I mentioned this in my Updated Healthy Asian Hair Care Routine Post.  While I still think this is a good and affordable oil-containing silicone hair serum,  I think I like Suave Professionals: Moroccan Infusion Moroccan Argan Styling Oil better, and it's even cheaper than the Organix! .
2) Repurchase: Maybe, but most likely I will be trying other things instead.

Phew!  Sorry for such a long review post.  It's definitely a full report on my beauty empties.  I hope you enjoyed.  If you like this series please comment or feel free to let me know that you want to see more of these!

As always,
Shine & Sparkle!


* I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment