I realized I haven't made a post for the men who read my blog (I know there are some of you!) in quite some time. This post is definitely relevant to all genders. This post was inspired by the fact that I have been watching an insane amount of "The Walking Dead". While watching, I realize that given the zombie apocalypse scenario, it is very unlikely that the cast would look half as sexy as they do. Yeah they might look at bit dirty and rugged...but nothing like if there was an actual apocalypse (everyone still has nice hair days...)
|As usual, like my last image, I'll gladly give someone credit for their image or take it down if whoever owns it throws a hissy fit. Otherwise, please enjoy Squiggles taking out a zombie.|
So lets pretend there is an apocalypse, and you have made it into a secure grocery store. Your backpack already has clothes, food, and water. The following are the items I think that every man (an woman) should have in their 10 item grooming/cleanliness survival kit. Now, since there is no (current) sign that we are heading towards apocalypse, these items are still relevant for your camping outfit, trunk of your car, or as part of a disaster emergency kit (where I live, we have earthquakes so everyone has earthquake kits outside their houses). I think people think of clothes, food, water, and first-aid (understandably), but these small creature comforts can make all the difference.
The 10 Item Grooming Survival Kit:
- Hand Sanitizer: You never know when you might have to take care of business in a bush. Or pick up something gross. Or maybe you just don't want to waste water washing your hands before eating. Eitherway, hand sanitizer is a must.
- Mouthwash and/or "Wisps": You wont miss clean breath until it's not an option. These two items are stable for long periods of time. You do not need to use water to rinse. Just instantly fresh breath. You never know if they use garlic in those MREs.
- Cleansing Wipes: It can be baby wipes, wet-ones, my favorite "Yes to Cucumbers Facial Wipes", or my newest obsession "Skyn Iceland Glacial Cleansing Cloths"(while somewhat pricey, I have never met a more effective wipe and there is a lot of product per-wipe--each wipe could clean almost your whole body!). No matter what wipe you choose, when showering isn't an option, wipes are perfect.
- Deodorant: Do I really have to explain this?
- Nail Clipper with built-in file: Have you ever tried to trim your nails without one. Alternatively, you could have a very awesome swiss army knife that includes a nail trimmer...that would probably be even better.
- Scissors: Not only are scissors infinitely useful for all kinds of things (like cutting rope to make your tent), you can use them to trim your inevitably shaggy mountain man hair and beard. Or your girlfriend's hair (until you sacrifice her to the zombies to save your own skin). If you are more hard core, you could use a knife...or maybe there is a scissor in your awesome Swiss army knife. Either way, sharp implement is good.
- Petroleum Jelly: Very stable product for long periods of time. This has a lot of great grooming uses if you are in a pinch. It can be used as a moisturizer for rough patches, lip balm, heal wind burn, prevent blisters on your feet, chafing/diaper rash, lipstick stain remover....so many uses.
- Dry Shampoo: You could also use cornstarch or baby powder. Either way, it absorbs the oil in your hair without water. Hooray.
- Brush/Mirror Combo: You don't miss these things until you don't have them. And a little mirror/brush (like this one from the container store) will be very useful to bush out your dry shampoo and gaze at how great you look despite having just killed several zombies.
- SUNSCREEN: No matter why you are out in the elements, you need sunscreen. Preferably 30SPF or higher. Sunglasses and a hat are never a bad idea either.