Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Best Dry Shampoos (and DIY Dry Shampoo Options)

Hi Shine and Sparkle Report Readers!

I love dry shampoo.  It really makes life so much easier! I adore dry shampoo because:
  • De-greases hair so you can go more days without washing it (which strips your hair of natural oils, fades color, and can stress/break hair because it is weaker when wet.)
  • Adds volume and texture to your hair because it's adding product around each strand making it take up a bit more space--thus looking fuller.

Squiggles is making a full come back into this blog.  He looks so cute in Microsoft Paint outfits (despite his protests).

How do you use dry shampoo?
For spay dry shampoos, I section my hair off into about 2-3 inch sections and spray it at my roots.  Then I massage it with my fingers and brush out any extra.  For non-spray dry shampoo, I put some powder on my hands, pat my hands together a bit, then massage it into my roots.  Again, brush to get out any extra powder.

My Top Dry Shampoos:

Batiste Dry Shampoo*:  This is my #1 favorite dry shampoo.  The spray is very convenient.  It comes in many scents as well as colored versions (blonde and brunette) if you worried about it leaving a white cast on your hair (though I never find this to be a problem and I have dark hair).  It is also very affordable at around $7.  My favorite scent is "Blush" which is very floral.  Spray shampoos are the most convenient but they do contain varying levels of alcohol that can dry out your hair.  I find that this does not have as much alcohol and doesn't leave my hair dry.



Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo:  I like this one because sometimes I don't want to use a spray.  I typically use this when I have just colored my hair and it is weaker/dryer than normal. I find it easiest to squirt a small amount of this into my hands, pat my hands together gently, then massage this into my hair in small amounts until all of the oil disappears.  Squirting this directly on my scalp yields patchy results and too much product in certain places.  The product has a light citrus scent that my bf loves.  This is a bit pricier side at around $12 for a bottle.  However, I think it lasts much longer than the Batiste.





DYI Dry Shampoos:

Corn Starch or Baby Powder
While these do work, use them sparingly!  Too much is very heavy and leaves a very white cast to your hair.  This is pretty undesirable unless you are bringing white powder wigs back (see Squiggles above).  Then this is perfect! I do not think they work nearly as well as the more modern versions.  That being said, if you are super into not using chemicals, these are great options to check out!

I hope this guide to dry shampoo is helpful!  Thank you so much for reading.


Shine & Sparkle!

*I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions. Also, like all my images, I'll gladly give someone credit for their image or take it down if someone throws a hissy fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment