Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Soy Nail Polish Remover Review

Welcome to my first of many Wednesday posts Shine and Sparkle Report Readers!

For the last 4+ years, I have rarely seen my natural nails.  I LOVE painting my nails.  I find that working at a desk in front of a computer, I type a lot.  And looking and pretty colors on my hands makes doing my job just a tad more enjoyable.  I'm also slightly weirded out by feet (mine included...I know I'm strange) and painting my toe nails some how makes them much less weird to me.  My odd views about my nails aside, it means that chemicals are always on my nails.  I make sure to have nail polish that is free of 3 or 5 of the major bad chemicals.  This includes OPI, Essie, Wet n' Wild (see my love of their polishes here!).  But I have always used acetone nail polish remover because...well...it works.  Fast.

Fast forward to giving myself a manicure/pedicure at home (see how I do that here!)  and after studying the weakness of my nails, I googled "weak nails from polish".  Several horrifying google images later, I determined that continued use of acetone was a major culprit to my weaker-than-I-would-like nails.  But how to get off polish without acetone quickly, easily, and without drying out my nails?

This image is copyright of ManiPure.  Squiggles is taking a break this report.   Like all the images I steal from the internet, I'll gladly give someone credit for their image or take it down if someone throws a hissy fit.

SOY OIL NAIL POLISH REMOVER!  Yes, you heard me.  I'm sure you are thinking, no way can that stuff work.  I know you are thinking that because I thought the same thing as I shrugged and spent $14 on only 4oz of ManiPure: Soy Power! Soy Nail Polish Remover * on Amazon.  But believe it or not kiddo's, it is equivalent to 100% pure acetone and way better than acetone nail polish removers.

How do you use it?
It is very very concentrated, so put a cotton ball over the top, flip it over and back up right.  Let the remover on the cotton ball sit on your nail for about 30 seconds (this is key!), then start easily rubbing away the polish!  One cotton ball with remover and you have plenty for both hands.  I'd use another cotton ball for toes.  For any light colors, you wont deal too much with the color bleeding onto your skin form the cotton ball once a nail of polish is removed.  However, for dark colors of formulas that do bleed off of the cotton ball, just use an extra one to clean up your skin after the majority of polish is removed. It is such a joyful thing to not struggle to remove nail polish!  

Do you have that awful dry/cancer feeling you have after using/breathing normal nail polish remover?  
No!  Not with amazing-magical-unicorn soy nail polish remover!  You nails feel hydrated and strong from the soy oil.  And the smell is a mild lavender essential oil scent.  My nail painting life is revolutionized.  I see no reason why this is not strictly superior to regular nail polish remover.

What about that steep $14 price tag?
Well, I have to say that since you need so little of this product, the 4oz should last you quite a while.  I used way more 100% acetone.  And I used gobs more regular nail polish remover.  Gobs.  Also, $14 gets you barely one cheap professional manicure (if you include tip) and does not get you a fancy spa manicure at all.  So just by skipping the professional treatment, you are saving tons.  I think this is an essential addition to your home mani/pedi routine.  Heck, I'll probably bring it to the nail salon (since it is such a portable bottle) and make them use that instead!  Trust me, google nail damage from acetone on google and you will be racing to pick some of this stuff up trust me!

Does it remove all nail polish? What about gel nail polish/gel nails/acrylics?
I tested my Wet n' Wild Mega Last, Revlon Color Stay, OPI (with a Glitter layer then top coat), L'Oreal (in a navy-almost-black shade), and Essie.  Soy nail polish remover took all of them off without any issues.  Note: I like to do at least 2 coats over my base coat then have a top coat.  If it isn't opaque enough, I've been known to do 3 coats of color.  I like it looking like gels, without being gels *wink*.  So I'm a prime candidate to see if soy nail polish remover has the power to remove all kinds of polish.  HOWEVER, it does NOT remove gel nail polish, gel nails or acrylics.  That being said, if you are doing any of these three nail processes, you probably are going to a nail salon to have it done.  They will remove them as gently as possible, but soy nail polish remover doesn't have the proper solvents to handle the superglue or UV treated gel.

Shine & Sparkle!

*I am not paid or contacted by any of the companies mentioned in this post.  These are my honest feelings and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment